Thursday, January 21, 2010

What's Wrong with Prego?

It is hard to understand how large advertisers can sometimes produce really bad ads, then spend huge amounts of money to put them on the air. I'm not talking about mediocre work, which is everywhere today, but work that just does not pass the laugh test. I wonder how it happens. I can't believe it's an "Emperor's Cloths" thing. I would assume the client and agency have seasoned marketing and advertising professionals with the horsepower to see the obvious and the balls to effect some kind of correction. But not in Prego's case.

Prego has come out with a new campaign that strategically positions their sauce against "Jars," yet is also packaged in a jar. I'd love to talk the to the Account Planner at Y&R / New York that presented that brand strategy. Anyway, take a look at this ad (one of several they produced delivering the same "jar" message.) Am I missing something?


1 comment: